May 29, 2014

Wisconsin Take 3

Monday was an early day.  Shawna had to leave to catch her flight and her plan was to stop by Grandpa's before heading out.  Around 9 or 10 I got a call from her.  She said Grandpa was shivering so bad from a fever when she got there and his teeth were chattering.  She went and found a nurse to give him something to break the fever.  She said when she left he wasn't shaking as bad but we needed to go and check on him.

Mom and I left pretty soon after the call and we headed on down to Grandpa's.  Grandma came with us and she drove.  Grandma was pretty ticked at the nursing home and ranted quite a bit.  (I don't blame her, Mom and I agreed with everything.) When we got there he still had a fever.  He looked miserable and didn't say much.  He kept saying "So tired" and shaking his head.  We got a nurse in and they gave him Tylenol and Ibuprofen to break the fever.  While he still had his fever we needed him to sign his truck title for Steve.  He tried so hard while he was signing it but it didn't look very well.  When he was done, he kept saying "Terrible, terrible".  It broke my heart to see that he couldn't even sign his name, he was so weak.  We let him to to sleep when we knew the fever was breaking.  We went and ran some errands and went back a while later.

When we came back Grandpa was awake and eating lunch.  He had some chicken pasta with broccoli, jello, milk and ice cream.  I had skyped Steph earlier in the day but she saw him at a bad time so I called her back the second time.  I helped Grandpa eat his ice cream and I talked to him for a bit.  He didn't like the ice cream and said it was too sweet.  I asked him if he wanted me to comb his hair, and he said yes.  I went and asked a nurse for a comb and luckily they had some.  I was able to comb his hair and I will never forget the look it put on his face.  It is the same look he always had when I combed his hair.  His eyes closed, the smile lines were around his eyes and his little smile came to his face.  Whenever I combed his hair he would make that face and he would say "Ohh Jack".  I'm so grateful I was able to do that for him. I remember telling him that Shawna was going to take Rudy and that brought a smile to his face too.  Stephanie was able to skype with him too and he was in much better spirits than in the morning.  We left soon after that and let him rest.

We took Grandma back home and mom took me to go down memory lane.  I got to see her old house and farm.  I got to see her high school and hear some stories.  We got back to Grandma's around 5
 and soon after mom's cousins come to visit.  We played some games with them and they left around 8:30.  I called Brady after they left to go over how I was getting home the next day.  Well, while on the phone, Grandma's phone rang.  I heard her say over the phone that his scrotum is swelling and his rectum is bleeding so you need my permission to go to the ER.  I told Brady I would call him back.  In about ten minutes Grandma, Peg, Mom and I were in the car on our way to the ER.  I've never been to the ER for a major emergency.  We beat the ambulance there so we waited.  Maybe 30 min. later Grandpa arrived and we were told they would let us know when we could see him.

Poor Grandpa was in so much pain.  You could tell by the way he was moving.  He couldn't get comfortable moving from one side to another.  He was so restless that he tore the IV . out of his arm and blood was going everywhere.  He was also very cold.  Luckily the nurse, Rory, was an angel and he got the IV back in gently.  He took his old blankets and brought new hot ones.  We got Grandpa cozy and were holding his hand, rubbing his arm and leg.  Rory told us he wanted to make Grandpa as comfortable as possible.  Grandpa had asked him for whole milk, and Rory found some milk, I don't know if it was whole milk or anything but it was milk and it made Grandpa happy.  Then we had to leave the room for a moment while they did some scans.  We waited in the waiting room for a while and then they explained to Peg and Mom what was going on.  We went back to his room and then things just blurred together for me.  I remember being told that Grandpa's organs were failing.  He lost circulation to his lower half, hence the swelling.  We figured he didn't have much time but we weren't sure how much time was left.  We walked into the room.  Mom went to Grandpa's right side, she grabbed his hand and rubbed his head.  Grandpa opened his eyes and swing his left arm up to be around mom.  We decided that people needed to be called and told what was going on.  I called Charlene's cell twice and then Uncle Jim's.  He answered and I don't remember what I said but I told them Grandpa was in the ER and handed the phone to Peg.  Mom was still talking to Grandpa so Peg explained to Charlene what was going on.  We put the phone to Grandpa's ear so Charlene could talk to him.  I don't know what was said, I only know Grandpa was trying his hardest to talk to his kids.  His mouth was moving, he was shaking his head but the poor people on the other side of the line couldn't see that.  After Charlene we called Jodi.  I was kinda in charge of getting the next kid on the phone.  Peg talked to them until their turn and then Mom would hang up when they finished.  Jodi gave us Scott's cell phone and home phone.  I called both numbers and finally Gaile answered.  Scott talked to Grandpa next while I found Paul's number.  I called Paul, he answered right away.  I didn't know what to say, I had never spoken to him before.  All I said was, "Hi Paul, this is Jackie, Lorie's daughter.  Here talk to my mom." Paul talked last.  Then we knew grandpa was letting go.

Rory came into the room a could times and we asked in if Grandpa was dying.  All he said was it was up to him.  At this point it just is the mind letting go.  Grandpa was holding on so he could speak to each of his kids.  He wouldn't close his eyes until he spoke to each of them.  I could tell Grandpa felt peace.  He used that last bit of strength to hug my mom but I know that hug was meant for each one of his kids, for grandma, his grand kids and his dear friends.


Mom's High School

Mom's House

Mom's Farm

Mom's Grandma's House






The decor in Grandpa's ER room, isn't it perfect?


No comments: