Nov 15, 2008

The Week From Hell

This week was probably the most stressful, awful, horrible, depressing (I could go on but I think you get the idea) of my life! Let me just tell you how it went...
Monday-Dress and Humanity project due. This project was where we had four people to a group and we had to design AND make an outfit out of recyclable material. I was working with three guys which by the way two out of the four only came to two out of the four classes we could work on it. We decided to make our theme be junk food. We used labels off of soda bottles for a shirt and then the plastic lids for a beanie. Then we used crushed soda cans for a belt and chip bags for a skirt. It looked like crap but that was due on Monday. It was pretty bad. Then I was supposed to work from 2-10. Luckily someone came and covered from 4:30 to 10. That gave me the night to study for my test on tuesday.

Tuesday-Test in Life in the Universe. I went to get help from my professor at 7:30 am on my tiny house project. When he was done helping me he asked me how I was holding up. Just that tiny bit of compassion made me break down. I started bawling and I'm pretty sure he thought I was pretty weird. The rest of the week I had a hard time keeping my composure just because once the flood gates open it is hard to shut them again. Anyways this test was critical to my grade considering these tests are usually pretty hard and I haven't done well on any of them so far. I studied Monday night, worked on my tiny house project when I needed a break. I went to class feeling like I could do fairly well on the test. I got done in about twenty minutes and felt like I did pretty good for only studying a couple of days. Then I worked on my Tiny House Project until 5. At five I went to work from 5-10 and researched for the paper that was due on Wednesday. After work I went and worked out for about thirty minutes and then went to the studio to work more on my tiny house project. (did I mention I was going to bed around three every morning and getting up around 7?)

Wednesday-feeling better but still stressed. I had a paper due and midnight and had SOOOOO much to do on my tiny house project. I needed to get my logo scanned into a computer and fixed on photoshop or illustrator neither of which that I have access to. Then I remembered that my friend that I work with is a graphics design major and a computer nerd so he probably has all of the following. I went to classes and then worked on my tiny house project all day, occasionally looking at my paper and writing sentences here and there. Riley got off of work and ten and so I headed to his house around ten thirty taking another interior design student with me who was in the same fix I was. We went to his house and while he was working on our logos I started writing my paper. During the day I had been so caught up in my tiny house project that I kinda forgot about my paper for a couple hours.) I was trying to get that done and get my logo done and not to stress. When we got done with the logos it was around eleven thirty. Me and the other girl walked out into the parking lot and I noticed there were signs on my windshield. I figured it was some advertisements. When I got closer I realized that the signs said warning do not move this vehicle. I looked at the tires are sure enough I had a boot on my car. I broke down and bawled. I just cried and cried but I couldn't just sit there because I had a paper due in oh 25 minutes. I found out that visiting hours were over at eleven and the parking Nazis go around right at the end of visiting hours. I called my roommate and asked her if she would stay with my car and pay for the boots to be removed with my debit card so i could run back up to the studio and finish my paper. While I was waiting for her the parking nazi showed up because he was driving around booting other people and so I paid the 70 dollar fine and left. He had the nerve to tell me have a better night than you are having. I wanted to rip his eyes out. I was hysterical at this point and didn't have time to just sit in my car and cry. I had to go back into the studio and try to finish my paper in five minutes. When I walked into the studio I realized that more than half the interior deign majors were there and so were the TAs. One of the TAs saw me and came over and asked me what was wrong. I told her everything and she was so sweet. She was like Jackie e-mail your teacher tell her the situation and finish the paper and send it to her. She asked me how much sleep I was getting and I told her for the past two weeks i had been averaging about three-four hours a night. She told me I had to go home the minute I was finished with my paper so I could sleep. I finished the paper right around 1:00 am. I got seven hours of sleep that night and I can't even tell you how happy I was.

Thursday & Friday-Tiny House Presentation drawings were due at 4:30 pm. I still had line weights to figure out. I also needed to fix my shadows on all four elevations and the site plan. I needed to finish my site plan put trees in all the drawings and fix a couple things on my floor plan. The teacher was going out of town around 5 that evening so everything was supposed to be due at 4:30. He realized that we wouldn't be ready so he extended the deadline until 8:30 am Friday morning. I was in the studio from 8:30 am to 9:30 am. Over twenty four hours. The only time I left was to go eat at the cafe where I work and dinner at my work (my ramen is there) and to change my clothes around 10:30 pm. I worked all night. Around midnight one of the girls that had finished earlier that day asked me if I needed any help and I tried to say no but she came up and helped me until 4 am probably. She is my angel. There was a boy that brought me dinner around eleven thirty also. At about 7 am I went to the bathroom to find a very unpleasant and unexpected visitor. Sorry but I need to rant and tell you the complete story if I offend anyone please accept my apology. I realized why I had been a complete basket case all week on top of everything else that had to happen to me. I just wanted to be done. Finally around 9 am I finished everything and turned it in. I really don't remember every detail that happened that night but my drawings got done and turned in. Then I came home and slept for two hours. I went to work at 12:30 and besides the headache and cramps everything went pretty smooth. Then I came home and didn't sleep until around 7. I slept through a movie my roommates put in and then I woke up again after it was over and went to bed at midnight. basically I'm very glad this week is over and i'm ready for this next week. Our Tiny house models are due on Wednesday. Hopefully my week goes better this time around. I'm ready for Thanksgiving break, I'm sooooo excited.

7 comments:

J and L said...

I love you Jackie. And again, I'm sorry I laughed when you told me about the boot. I promise you will laugh in a year from now.

J and L said...

All of the people helping you are an answer to a fathers prayers. I am glad you are at a university were there is some compassion. I promise you, you will grow from these experiences.

Meagan said...

I love you Jackie. I am so glad you call me. You are amazing. So responsible and all of that. I'm glad I finally taught you something! haha. No really, you are tons of fun to talk to and I am glad that you are my sister.

James and Shawna said...

Wow Jackie! You are such a champ! I'm so impressed with your work ethic, and I love you and can't wait to see you! We're in UTAH! So now we're close!

Leslie Jacobs said...

I definitely do not envy you, and I am sorry you had a rough week! I remember those crazy college all-nighters! I think at one point I stayed awake for over 30 hours straight to get three papers done, and study for my finals. Not fun! And I am sorry about the boot on your car. You must have been at the apartments at the bottom of the hill, I think they are Farm-something apartments. They are the WORST for booting cars! Anyways, I hope this next week goes better, and that you get a nice break over Thanksgiving!

Boom said...

You poor sweatheart! And here I was in a funk over a horrible haircut and a police officer yelling at me for running a red light. (I'm sure he is color blind though) I only had a bad day! Your week was the week from HELL! I'm so glad it is over. Have a wonderful holiday!

Dani, Mark and Kids said...

Thank you fro inviting us into your blog. You are a sweetheart. Wow what a week. I will never complain about my weeks form hell again. Hope this week has been better. See you on Wednesday night. We are so excited to come to Utah!!