May 25, 2010

Natural Disasters



I have been alive for almost twenty one years. Can you believe it? In the course of my many years I was thinking about what has happened in that time. Today I looked up on Wikipedia the largest natural disasters and which ones happened during my lifetime. I'm sad to say I really have only heard of maybe two or three of them. There has been 21 natural disasters in my 21 years.

1989
The Saturia-Manikganj Sadar Tornado
Manikganj, Bangladesh
April 26, 1989
1,300 people died

1990
Manjil-Rudbar Earthquake
Iran
June 21, 1990
50,000 people died

1991
Bangladesh Cyclone
138,866 people died

1993
North American Storm Complex
United States
318 people died

1995
Kazakh Blizzard
Kazakhstan
112 people died

1996
North Korean Famine
Ended in 1998
1,200,000 people died

Torrential rains and mudslides
Amarnath Yatra Tragedy
India
242 people died

1997
Sumatra, Kalimantan
Indonesia
240 people died

1999
Torrential Rains and Mudslides
Venezuela
15,100 people died

Izmit Earthquake
Turkey
Aug. 17
45,000 people died

2001
Gujart Earthquake
India
Jan. 26
19,727 people died

2003
Ban Earthquake
Iran
Dec. 26
26,271 people died

2004
2004 Indonesian earthquake
Dec. 6
233,000 people died

2004 Indonesian Tsunami
229,866 people died

2005
Kashmir Earthquake
Oct. 8, 2005
79,000 people died

2006
2006 Southern Leyte Mudslide
Philippines
Feb. 17
1,126 people died

2008
Cyclone Nargis
Myanmar
146,000 people died

Chinese Winter Storms
133 people died

2008 Sichuan Quake
May 12, 2008
68,712 people died and 18,392 people missing

2009
Black Saturday Bushfires
Australia
173 people died

2010
Haiti Earthquake
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Jan. 12
250,000 people died

2 comments:

Meagan said...

This is one of the weirder posts I've ever seen. Congrats on your researching abilities though.

J and L said...

So let me hear some positive mile stones.