May 21, 2010

Speech Impediments

Another thing I have come to realize about myself from the service desk would be that I have a speech impediment. It isn't a normal speech problem though. The problem I have is there are certain everyday words that I just cannot pronounce correctly. Here is a list of what words I have a problem saying.

Digits-This word kills me. I cringe every time I have to say this word. Problem is 90% of our calls are password resets. During these password resets I have to ask them to "verify the last four digits of your social security number". Normally I would just switch the word digits to numbers. I can't do this though because then I say the word "number" twice in one sentence. If there was any other word to use I would. Sometime I just say, "verify the last four numbers of your social" and that works sometimes. It just confuses people. It is an on going battle. Maybe I'm not the only one but when I have to say that word I either have to pause and mentally prepare myself for it or it just comes out of my mouth in a jumble.

The next word that is hard for me to say is Jackie. How ridiculous is it that I can't pronounce my own name? I realized that I can't pronounce it very well when more than half the customers call me Jesse. I never thought that I had an issue saying my name but it is the only explanation I can come up with. It would be different if it was all old people that couldn't hear but unfortunately it is all types of people. I don't understand what is going on with it, but I cannot figure it out.

Those are the two main ones that have been brought to my attention and the ones I cannot fix for the life of me. That could be that it is because they are absolutely humiliating and ridiculous. I'll keep you posted if I come up with other good speech issues.

2 comments:

Sorensen said...

Oh Jackie, you make me laugh!

Meagan said...

Okay. I should definitely read all of your blog more often. I have always been able to understand your name, but I am going to try and think of interesting ways to make you say digets as much as possible while you are here.